Contact Me

If you'd like to contact me directly, you can send me an email at cmpowers56@gmail.com

Friday, October 26, 2012

How to order at a Panamanian McDonald's




I'm trying to swear off fast food. The back problems and a recent blood-sugar scare (I'm beginning stages diabetic) have convinced me to stay away from rice, pasta, sweets, and fast food. I'm sure I'll sneak in a burger or two from time to time. I took this photo about a month ago while sitting in line at the drive thru. As I was glancing over the menu (like I didn't know exactly what I wanted already), I thought, "Hmm, this is the kind of thing Americans don't think about until they get here." We realize we'll need to learn Spanish. But I think most of us believe we'll at least be able to order a McDonald's burger, right? 

It was much easier when I first moved here. Back then (only 3 years ago), McDonald's still used combo numbers. I knew my numbers in Spanish. So I could get away with saying, "Combo numero cuatro." I knew when they asked, "Sabor de la soda?" They were asking something about the soda, which probably meant flavor, so I'd answer, "Coca-cola." Saying the word Coke alone will just confuse them. Then they'd ask some question. It was the one thing I never understood, and I came to learn that whenever I got confused, to just say "regoolar" (you have to say regular with an accent or they'll have no idea what you're talking about). Or grande if you want a larger size fries and drink. That confusing question was basically, "What size?"

Most of that process still holds true today. The only thing that has changed is the removal of the combo numbers. Whether they did it just to confuse us expats even more, I'll never know. But they're gone. So we have to change and adapt, right? So hopefully the photo above will help you prepare for your McDonald's journey. You're on your own with Burger King and Wendy's and Carls Jr (yes, we have all 3 here). I wish they had an Arby's...sorry just daydreaming a bit. Oh and Taco Bell is a whole other monster. It takes awhile to get used to ordering Americanized Mexican food in Panamanian Spanish. 

My Spanish is still horrible. I have no excuse. It just is. But this is how I order my food and it always seems to work. First, I forgot to mention, they usually ask your name at most fast food restaurants here. Even at Taco Bell. If the first words out of their mouth are something like, "blah blah blah nombre?" Just say your name, with a Latin twist. My name is Crrr(roll of the tongue)iiistooofaaare. Panamanians have a hard time with my name. I've even had a security guard look at me strange and say, "Que? Lucifer?"

Next step. Order your food. I say, "Un combo de cuarto de libra con queso, por favor." If you look up at the menu you'll see that I just ordered a quarter pounder with cheese, please. Then just to skip the confusion of the flavor of soda, I immediately add, "Con Coca-Cola." Oh, here's another tip. If you happen to come from Texas, Oklahoma, or any other state where the soda Big Red exists. That's the red soda here. They call it fresa, which translated means strawberry, but it's not strawberry. It's the bubble gum mixed with cream soda tasting craze known as Big Red in the States. However, if you want to order it, you need to say fresa. If you were to ask for rojo grande which is Big Red, they'd just look at you like you've lost your mind. 

Next comes that confusing question. I still don't know exactly what they're asking. Just do yourself a favor and say, "Regooolar." Unless you want the larger size. If that's the case, say, "Grande."

If you want it for here, say, "Para aqui (pronounced pada ah-key)." If you want it go say, "Para llevar (pronounced pada yay var)." 

Don't adjust your monitors. That is fried chicken you see at the bottom middle of the photo. Every fast food restaurant here serves fried chicken. Usually it's just a drumstick and thigh, but that's something you have to get used to. If you've learned the word pollo (pronounced poy yo) means chicken, don't try to order McNuggets just by saying pollo. If you do, you'll get the fried chicken. McNuggets are "MacNooooogets" here, remember? 

Oh, just a heads up. Happy Meals are not called Happy Meals here. They're called Cajita Feliz (pronounced caheeta fayleez). 

I'm really saddened by the fact that they don't have McGriddles here. I loved those things. I guess with the diabetes it's for the best. And you see the McFlurry picture in the bottom right corner of the photo above? McFlurries don't look like that in Panama. They don't mix the toppings in the way they do back home. Here it's basically just vanilla ice cream with the topping plopped on top. If you want the mixed treat you'd better head over to Dairy Queen and order a Blizzard. 

I think that's about all. If you have any McDonalds or fast food question, please feel free to leave a comment below and I promise to do my best to answer. And if you have any funny stories to share, please do. 



5 comments:

  1. We were just in Panama for a week and stopped in McD's in Coronado for quick breakfast on way to El Valle. There were four choices. We knew we wanted Egg McMuffins and ended up with combo (didn't want hash browns and they come with super small drinks). Coffee only comes in one super small size (we tried ordering different size). The next time we went back (where we were staying, many restaurants aren't open for breakfast during the week due to it being rainy season) we knew then to order Egg McMuffin for just the traditional sandwich, or Egg McMuffin with Jamon (for the Canadian Bacon one) and NOT to get the combo. It went from $3.35 to $1.80. And this time I ordered a grande soda and didn't get a teeny tiny drink. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's definitely trial and error here. I just get the sandwich too. I always order the Egg McMuffin con salchicha, huevo, y queso, solo. You have to get used to the small differences here. I stopped in a McDonald's one day, just to get a drink. My car had broken down nearby and I was waiting for assistance. It was really hot that day so I went in and ordered a grande soda. She asked if it was for here or to go, so I said, "for here," because I wanted to sit in the air conditioned restaurant for a couple of minutes. She charged me for a grande drink and then gave me a medium cup. I looked at the cup and said, "No, grande." She told me she had to give me a medium cup because they had free refills. I told her that I would be leaving shortly, and that I wanted the large cup I'd paid for so I could take it with me when I left. She made a big deal out of it and then finally gave me a large cup. So I learned that day, if you're going to eat at the restaurant, don't order a grande drink. Just save money and get the medium with refills, since you'll probably get the medium cup anyways. On a different note, I was in Coronado last week and I'm headed to El Valle soon. I write The Panama Letter for a company called Live and Invest Overseas. So I travel to a different location each month and write about it. I've heard El Valle is beautiful. Do you guys live in Panama?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nevermind, sorry. I just saw that you wrote, "We were just in Panama for a week..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. just a note...your blog here doesnt seem to show up on the list of blogs via "blogspot" main page. Or at least I cant find it? I happened across it in your reply to someone in a discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous, thank you for letting me know. I need to learn more about this blogging thing. At the moment, I'm just a writer who wants to share info about Panama. I really haven't spent time marketing the site or anything else. I've just been blogging whenever I get the chance. I'm not even sure how to check the page you're talking about. Sorry if I sound like a complete knucklehead. If you have any tips for me, please share. Thanks again for your help.

    ReplyDelete